A newly married couple have been left devastated after being told their wedding reception was “cancelled” just two days before they were set to celebrate with 200 guests.
Katrina, 25, and Samuel Williams, 31, were given the awful news by managers at Humber Dock Bar and Grill, who had agreed to host their reception on Saturday almost a year ago.
The pair recently got married in Cyprus but had planned a larger party with all their friends and family back in Hull to share their happy day. It will be the same day England take on Sweden in the quarter-final of the World Cup.
The couple were told last week the bar could no longer host the party but they could use the smaller function rooms. Then, after Hull Live contacted Humber Dock, based on Hull Marina on June 29, they were told they would honour the original booking.
Then, last night the couple received an email saying the reception was “cancelled” after all – leaving them just 48 hours to find a replacement. They have still been offered the smaller function rooms, however, with 150 guests due, the couple say there will not be enough space.
Mrs Williams said: “It all came crashing down on us last night when we got an email from Humber Dock at 5.45pm to cancel our wedding celebration, which left us with 48 hours to try and find a new venue.
“It’s absolutely horrendous – we have family flying from New Zealand to celebrate with us especially, as well as family and friends from all over – it’s so stressful to try and find a new venue and let everyone know that it’s no longer at Humber Dock.
“We can’t get hold of everyone that’s due to come so I’ve had to drive about telling people the news. I’ve found the whole thing traumatising – we have a toddler to look after and I work full time as a nurse and just don’t need this extra stress.”
The couple believe the wedding venue was cancelled due to the England quarter-final match on Saturday at 3pm – the same time and date that their party was due to be held.
They say this was confirmed in their minds after they saw a Facebook post from the bar announcing they would be showing the big game. At the same time, football fans posted saying there would be a 15-metre screen showing the match at the bar.
Mrs Williams said: “The bar confirmed everything was sorted for us in mid-May so we first got a shock last week when they told us that it was cancelled, but we were then reassured on June 29 that it was all going ahead as planned.
“We then saw a Facebook post on Humber Dock’s page where they advertised the England game and then two days later we were contacted via email to cancel the wedding.
“I don’t understand how they could do it to us – it has put a dampener on the whole thing and now I just want it over and done with.
“It just doesn’t feel like a celebration anymore.”
Mother-of-the-bride Melanie Lennon is “appalled” by how the bar has acted.
“I’m just devastated – it’s making us feel quite ill and sick and I’ve had chest pains ever since the cancellation,” she said.
“It’s appalling for my daughter and son in law to be treated like this and it’s tarnishing such a happy day.
“We’ve had a difficult year as a family and this was meant to be a happy time that would bring us all together but the cancellation has cast a dark cloud on us all.
“Katrina got the news just before her night shift and now she’s been racing about telling people not to go to Humber Dock and trying to find a new last minute venue to accomodate.
“So much money has been wasted as they bought decorations and arranged catering, all for nothing.”
The bar denies any wrongdoing and says they never offered the large function room that Mr and Mrs Williams requested. A spokesman for the bar added how delays in communication between the bar and the couple were to blame for the “mix-up”.
A Humber Dock spokesman said: “Our bookings procedure is without doubt thorough and detailed, as we fully appreciate the need to ensure couples enjoy their day to remember.
“With this in mind we require that all functions are paid for, in full, four weeks in advance – to allow for all details to be finalised.
“It was unfortunate that on this occasion, communication between ourselves and the party involved was delayed and details were not finalised until just over a week before the event. We would like to make it clear that this was not a failure on our part.
“Due to this delay, the apparent mix-up over the function room offered only came to light very late in the day.
“From our side, the booking and deposit of £50 was secured almost a year and a half ago and our records show that our large function room that is now requested was never offered at that time, instead our two smaller rooms were being considered.
“It was only a week ago that the party stated their wish to have the larger room but unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate that.
“We have done our utmost to find an alternative solution and it is a shame that we have not been able to do so.
“We will continue to help resolve the situation in any way we can, and we do wish the couple all the best for the future.”
Get the Hull Live app