Nineteen workers from the same company have been taken to A&E today after coming into contact with toxic liquid at a Hull company.
The group had to attend Hull Royal Infirmary’s Emergency Department on Wednesday morning after reporting skin irritation as a result of coming into contact the toxic substance.
It is not yet clear what the substance was that caused the injuries although a spokeswoman for the hospital told Hull Live that 19 people had been admitted on Wednesday as a result of using a “specific cleaning agent”.
The skin irritation suffered by the patients has been described as “minor” and they have all since been discharged.
One woman visiting a relative in hospital said her sister was warned that she could not be seen urgently at accident and emergency due to the sudden influx of patients.
She said: “My sister is in hospital at the minute and she’s not getting seen.
“She says there have been 19 patients taken in because of a chemical leak and described it as a major incident.”
In a statement, a spokeswoman for Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust said: “Nineteen people were admitted to Hull Royal Infirmary’s Emergency Department earlier today linked to the use of a specific cleaning agent by a local employer.
“All patients were admitted for observation following minor irritation, but have now been discharged.”
Get the Hull Live app